Thursday, July 10, 2008

Queen Megan and the Night Visitors

Growing up my family had many Christmas traditions, amongst them was going to see a production of the opera "Amahl and the Night Visitors". There is a portion of the story where Amahl offers his only possession, a crutch, to the Three Kings so that it may be presented to the baby Jesus as a gift. Upon giving the crutch to the Three Kings he begins to unsteadily walk. With each miraculous step Amahl takes King Balthazar (a bass singer) booms “He Waaaaaalks … He Waaaalks!”

It is no small secret that I am NOT a morning person. I have a very difficult time with morning. It would be safe to say that morning time and I are MORTAL enemies.

It has possibly been years since I thought about my Mom’s teasingly singing “She Waaaaaalks … She Waaaalks!” to me as I stumbled around the house still 80-90% asleep trying to get ready for school. However, this morning as I stumbled around getting ready for work I heard my Mom singing “She Waaaaaalks … She Waaaalks!” inside my head.

That is the tone for today, it is a miracle!

7 comments:

Houston said...

Why don't you like mornings?? He's your friend!!

Melissa Mae Johnson said...

That is hilarious!

cbostler said...

Megan,
All day long, I've had the compelling urge to bring out the Christmas records and play Amahl music. The only thing that held me back is that it would not only require a trip up and down the stairs, but also climbing a ladder to reach the records in the garage.
I've done the second best (?) thing... I've been singing it myself. She waaaaaalks!

Houston,
Has Queen Megan shown you her
fabulous film production called
"Dreams Do Come True?"
The 4:30 a.m. newspaper route segment will prove that morning is not, and never was, her friend!

ADDollhouse said...

I remember seeing that with you! However the only part I remember at ALL besides being with your fam is "don't you dare! Don't you dare! Don't you dare, Ugly man, hurt my mother!"

I don't remember the he walks stuff. Or the story. Or the rest of the music. Just THAT line and going with you guys.

TaLaisa said...

I'm with Kipluck. I only ever remember a few parts, I must admit I fell asleep during the performance, but only for a minute.

My favorite song was the "this is my box, this is my box. . . in this drawer I keep beads, How I LOVE to play with beads". Kinda ironic in light of my new hobby/turned obsession

TaLaisa said...

I thought of another funny part. Sometimes when I'm struggling to believe a 'story' Gabe is telling. I feel like singing the MOther's song where she asks, "oh amahl, when will you stop telling lies?" and then the madder part where she is wailing.

Elise Mckenna Peterson: said...

My mom used to sing that Beatles song, 'get up! get out of bed! drag the comb across your head!' That song drives me nuts to this day, haha!